Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Blackwork and Stones

My sister Susan has told me for years that I need to try designing. I am hesitant because I don't think I'm good enough and that I don't have an imagination. But she's my mentor and my "handwork goddess" so if she says something, I'm going to at least attempt to do what she says!

So I've been planning and drawing and sorting through things. I've been color matching and rummaging through years of collected threads, beads and rocks. I've been counting...and counting and counting. I now have a base plan.


The piece will have everything I love...rocks, beads, silk and metallic threads, couching, maybe a little canvas stitching. It will have stitches over 1 and stitches over 2. It will be orderly but with a touch of chaos since rocks aren't perfectly shaped. It will be full. I enlarged the above picture so you could see the details. Sorry it is one-sided but I don't know how to correct that! And thanks to Plays with Needles for how to do the enlarging!! In my opinion, Susan has one of the best blogs on the internet!


And I'll attempt to photograph it as I go, to show you how it is evolving. I've already noted, when looking at these first pictures of the first 2 inch square that the light blue thread doesn't show up too well. But there will be lots of pale colors as well as bold. I'm trying to keep a list of exactly what threads and beads I am using but some I just don't know. And I don't know that it really matters.

The weather in Munich has been unseasonably nice. Yesterday was over 60 degrees! Today looks like it is going to be a beautiful day as well. The motorcycle isn't put up for winter yet. There's still the possibility of a few hundred kilometers more. The ski pass is purchased but the skis aren't up from the basement yet. On today's schedule is planning out my Thanksgiving menu and making a list of all the things I need to get at the grocery store for Thanksgiving and for cookie-baking time! It's all coming up very quickly. I like having a schedule. I like having a plan. And I like where I am right now...at a very good and safe and calm place. Filled with love and satisfaction. I hope you are too.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Braun said...

I had no idea you were Susan's sister, how interesting!

I think your idea of mixing your geological and embroidery interests there is really quite ingenious!=)

Susan Elliott said...

I agree with your sister Susan about your designing so I guess we are sisters in crime *wink

And now, look what you have done!! Combining the rocks and the threads is an inspired idea and I know that there are going to be more great things to come from that one idea...

I am psyched to be here to see this first attempt -- it's lovely, not only because of the design and stitching but because it's the beginning of an amazing journey. We are all creative people and need to get out of our own selves and play, and create and play some more. I am glad you have decided to overcome that fear monster and unleash your spirit within.

You ARE in a great place and it's So nice to share it with you. Have a blessed Thanksgiving, Susan

quiltmom anna said...

I am sure you are going to create something really beautiful Wanda- All of your other pieces are stunning and this one will be too. You are talented needle woman-
I look forward to seeing your piece as it takes form and shape-

My husband is recovering and we are recovering from all the de junking. I will feel happier when we get the main floor more orderly again. The bin is still sitting there tonight - if we have it on the weekend I will find other things to toss in it I am sure:O)

It is always nice to hear from you on the blog. Thanks for stopping by.
Warmest regards,
Anna