Saturday, March 6, 2010

Hardanger Practice Piece & What's Going On

I know...my posts are not very regular anymore. But that's okay. I'm busy and sitting in front of the computer is just not where I want to be all the time. But rest assured, I am fine! Today is a snowy, winter day. Quite a change from the past week or two where we were over 50degrees. But that's okay too...


It's pretty and I am not one to mind the snow.

I've started a new project. Well, it's actually a practice piece. I mentioned earlier that I joined the "Hardanger Card Club" offered through NordicNeedles and got the taste of this technique. And....fell in love! But the cards themselves are small and I wanted more practice. So....


I started my own practice piece where I can try out different threads and stitches.


My sister Susan said she thought this would be a technique that I really enjoy. Well...guess what Susan....you are SO RIGHT! Susan's very busy with many exciting and wonderful things going on but she posts regularly so check it out if you aren't already a follower of hers.


I'm learning quite a bit as I work on my practice piece. And also experimenting with different threads. And colors!


I am also working on my Long Dog Sampler but it's so darned big (like...tablecloth size!) that it is sort of a pain to take pictures of. But I will get some taken sooner or later.

Take a look at my sister Sonya's blog. She's been posting again, working hard on her blog along with the millions of other things she does. She reminds us that it is once again an Oberammergau Passion Play year. Have you been? Wouldn't you just love to go? Well...she'll tell you how! And don't forget...it's only once every 10 years!

Besides being completely addicted to practicing Hardanger, I've been riding my indoor bike every day. I was hoping that I could soon be outside, hitting the trails again but I think I have to be a little more patient with that subject. You know....with snowstorms and all! I've ridden over 2600 kilometer indoors now. Thank goodness I have a DVD player in that room...and lots of DVD TV shows. Real good stuff...Babylon 5, X-Files, every single Stargate made: my kind of stuff! You don't really want to know what else...I'm sure you can just imagine and not be far from the truth. I've been doing lots of cooking and experimenting in the kitchen as well. So..all is good! Hope everything is good with you all too!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your practice pieces look wonderful - glad you are enjoying lots of activities (including clocking up lots and lots of miles).

Luv Shell x

verobirdie said...

I too love hardanger.
And i went to Oberammergau last year, when I visited München. I had heard of this town at school, and the name had remained in my mind. Will you go to the play?

Elizabeth Braun said...

Of course hardanger's do-able!=) If not, i'd be clueless!!=)LOL!!

Muse, me? Not likely! It's the fact that you like the pieces I've done in the past that has inspired you to have a go yourself. I started out with small, card sized designs as well and every one went into a card and was given away.=)

Re the fabric origins, it only matters if I want to use it as an example of typically Taiwanese stuff. No good if it's actually Japanese, rather a cheat!!

Keep up the good work and I hope you're keeping nice and warm. The weather here is just plain crazy. A few days ago it was over 30C and now it's down to about 11C and will plummet to about 5C tomorrow only to rise again to the 30s by the weekend. Mad!

SONYASPHERE said...

thanks for the plug.... check this out http://www.csatours.com/european-summer-study-program/courses-and-workshops/contemporary-embroidery-workshop/