Monday, July 29, 2013

A Great Bike Day

Today was a 'landmark' day....today I rode more kilometers outdoors than any other month since I've been riding.  Also, I rode more kilometers than any month ever...indoor and outdoor kilometers combined.  And I went over 9000 kilometers (about 5,600 miles) total since I've been riding.  Wow...pretty cool day.  But that wasn't all.....it wasn't a pretty day really.  It smelled like rain and it was a lot cooler than it has been.  Maybe that's a good thing because I saw lots of deer today!  There are three different kinds in the park...the wee little ones , the fallow deer and the red deer.  Up until this year, I've only seen the wee little ones.  Well, today, I saw fallow AND red deer.  The fallow deer are medium sized deer with white spots and and parts of their antlers can be 'solid'.  The red deer are one of the largest deer species.  Below are pictures of a few fallow bucks....only the males have antlers (that's true for both fallow and red).



What I could not capture on film was a herd of fallow deer crossing the path right in front of me!  There were at least 5 or 6 adults and two fawns.  One fawn was very dark but, after researching, found that fallow deer have a wide variety of coloring.  Although I did photograph the red doe and fawn, the pictures are not good.  But I did see them and it was totally awesome! Wow....what a fantastic experience! Funny though.....no boar were to be seen anywhere and I actually went 'hunting' for them. 

1 comment:

Susan Lenz said...

Great photos! I might even ride a bike if I knew I'd get to see deer like this!
Susan